[Fwd: Re: rawhide report: 20060207 changes]

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 12:48:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 13:39 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:13:09 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > The major problem is that the idiots running the domain send their
> > antispam confirmation messages to the From: header address rather than
> > the envelope sender address - this particularly fouls up in the case
> > of mailing lists where the From: header is very different to the
> > envelope sender.
>
> What is the use of sending confirmation messages to an address which
> is handled exclusively by machines?

Absolutely none at all... the whole thing is pretty pointless.
Basically you should take a mailing list as a whole - allow all of the
content or none of it.  That would happen for them automatically if they
sent confirmation requests to the envelope sender .... the fact that no
one would bother to reply to them is their problem, as is the fact that
the MLM would unsubscribe them if they keep sending (effective) bounce
messages to it.

	Nigel.