OLPC 'upstream'

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 12:49:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:11:28AM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> That CPU has only 16K + 16K I/D cache.  The AT91RM9200 embedded chip I
> use at the moment has the same cache :-O.  It does have 64-bit path to
> its DRAM, but still, cache locality is going to be really critical.

12K, 4K of the 16K D cache vanishes mysteriously as the blitter when in
graphics mode. Also the RAM is shared with the video and although the video
fetch is usually RLE encoded on that chip it still hurts, especially with
funky shading and backgrounds.

> I'm not sure how much of Gnome is planned to be in there as opposed to
> GTK2.  Besides its not the way to get a tight system to say that other
> things are huge so everything can stay as in Desktop Fedora.

I see no point in running Gnome on such a device. Its way way too bloated and
slow in its current form, and also has heavy FPU dependancies which aren't
good on this device.