Weird placement of some new window when dragging others

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Feb 13 02:25:31 UTC 2006

I've noticed this for some time now, but haven't been able to lock down
an solid example, but let me describe so that I can see if others have
seen this too and then I'll bugzilla it.

When I open a new window in Gnome, if it appears when I'm dragging
another window then if often appears with the title bar at the same
height as the window I'm dragging.

For example, open an evolution window (by default it's fairly large on
my system) and do nothing an it will always appear with the entire
window visible.

Now, open a gnome-terminal window, then a evolution window (do evolution
--force-shutdown first to make sure it takes a moment to appear) and
then drag the gnome-terminal window around the bottom of the screen.
Often the evolution window will appear with the title bar at the same
height as the title bar of the gnome-terminal windows I'm dragging and
some of the evolution window off the bottom of the screen.

I've seen this with gedit, gnome-terminal and other windows and this is
both dragging them or having them as the new window.

Something seems a little 'wiggy' with regard to placement in Metacity.
Have others seen this?

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"