The value of native java

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 20 12:22:07 UTC 2006

Kaimano wrote:

>All,
>
>I was wondering around the value of embedding java within the operating
>system and some of the most important applications, beyond the academic
>exercise. I would rather focus on a better architectural design allowing
>for a more flexible package inter-dependency.

Java is not embedded within the operating system. Merely included as
part of the distribution. You can very well choose to not install them
or remove them post installation if its not required for you.

>The point of Java is "platform independency", if this requires more CPU
>and memory, that is OK, they come cheaper than the work necessary to
>maintain a parallel product line. If it is about license independence from
>Sun, Sun have never hinted that they will create any problem in future, it
>would all go to their disadvantage.

Currently the Sun Java implementation is proprietary and Fedora does not
include proprietary software. Refer to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems

>Commercially, I would never recommend
>to rely on the native java packages.

The implementation within Fedora can use native packages but does not
require them and can work fine with bytecode using GIJ.  See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ.  Multiple implementations like
GCJ have actually helped in standardization by removing the use of
internal non standard API usage within several Java programs.

http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathMigration

--
Rahul