Questioning Pirut

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Wed Feb 22 16:31:22 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Tim -- first off, my apologies for not getting back to your mail.
> Between travel and then trying to get test releases out, I just haven't
> managed to get enough time to sit down and type this up.
>
> On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 07:15 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>> I have suggested to the developers to join forces and get Yum Extender
>> a.k.a yumex in shape to get into Core.
>> I takes time to make a good package manager gui and there are no need to
>> start from scratch.
>>

> It's not really starting from scratch in this case, though, as we're
> leveraging a lot of the work that has had to be done for anaconda.  As
> with system-config-packages before it, pirut has largely been driven by
> UI and other decisions made for anaconda so that we can provide a
> consistent interface around software selection during and after the
> installation process.
>

>> The current development release of yumex 0.99.9, currently in
>> extras-development, is in good shape and works in both
>> FC4 and rawhide. (and in RHEL 4 (with yum 2.4.x & CentOS 4.2)
>>

> I think that yumex is great and provides what a lot of people are
> looking for, but at the same time, don't think that it provides the
> experience that we're looking to provide as a part of the installer, etc
>
> Jeremy

I see it more clearly now, of cause  pirut, has to look like the package
selection in anaconda to make it consistent.
And you are right yumex is meant be something else.

What is the plans for the search feature and the repositories, what
features are needed, maybe i could supply some code if
i knew what features are needed.

Tim