Non-free Extras?

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 01:23:22 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 05:03:52AM -0500, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> > Is there a way of including proprietary drivers with the Fedora
> Project?  In
> > time, Nvidia, ATI et al will definitely have the best available linux
> > drivers for their hardware so it seems inevitable that proprietary
> drivers
> > will have to be included in Fedora.
>
> Fedora is free software. If you want to add proprietary software whether
> that
> is Nvidia drivers, Oracle or Quake 4 then its between you and the vendor.
> The
> Nvidia and Ati drivers are actually more tricky than the proprietary
> applications to deal with because their legality is open to some dispute.
>
> > They're giving away their drivers for free anyways.
>
> Only in price, and then you pay a terrible price if you want to debug
> anything
> or your system isn't stable

With all the myriad hardware out there the open source community cannot
possibly develop drivers for everything.  It seems to me that the open
source community figures out the architecture, and the hardware goliaths
develop their drivers within that architecture.

Of course, it would be great if the hardware goliaths open sourced their
drivers.

Benjy