Re: Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 20:07 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Both ATI and Nvidia, and perhaps even other 3rd party drivers out there
> come in some form of tarball or equivalent form from the particular
> vendor.

The Intel driver is worse than that, in some ways. In that case you
don't even need to seek out and install separate software; a clean
Fedora installation out of the box will run binary-only code supplied by
your board manufacturer, without really giving you much clue that it's
doing so.

I recently purchased a board with Intel i915 graphics, because I was led
to believe that it had a fully open source driver -- and now I've found
that all the mode setup is in binary-only code. So I can't make it do
the PAL output modes for which I purchased it.

--
dwmw2