Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Fri Feb 24 10:23:05 UTC 2006

Davide Bolcioni wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> Both ATI and Nvidia's proprietary video driver installation utilities
>> replace the Red Hat supplied libGL library with their own libGL.
>

> Could SELinux be used to prevent this and, more generally, disallow
> replacement of rpm-controlled files even by the root user ?

One of the SElinux guys can probably answer that better than I, as I
don't use SElinux personally, and my knowledge of what all it can
do, and how to make it do that, is rather limited.  As some of our
other developers have mentioned before, it's black voodoo magic.

;o)

chattr +i on the files might do the job, but then I suppose nvidia's
installer would just chattr -i them circumventing it.  It's far
easier to just clearly state that 3rd party drivers are not supported
in any way shape or form, and give people the right expectations.
Then they may or may not like it, but at least they know where things
stand.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.