Fedora in need of testers?

Jim Cornette fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 04:17:24 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> On 2/26/06, *Jim Cornette* <fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com
> <mailto:fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>      > Finally have the test machine ready. However, already having
>     problems,
>      > the display doesn't consume the entire screen here are the specs
>     on the
>      > system:
>      >
>      > Dell - OptiPlex GX110
>      > Intel Pentium III Processor: 733 MHz (133MHz Bus Speed)
>      > BIOS Version: A09
>     Latest version that I saw for the model on a search.
>
>      > Harddrive: WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 (20 GB)
>      > CD-ROW: Samsung CD-ROM SC-148F (48x)
>      > Soundcard: Intel ICH82801AA
>      > VGA: Intel 82810E DC-133 CGC
>      > Ethernet: 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
>      > Monitor: Dell UltraScan P780
>      >
>      > On my way to read the testers guude, have only gotten up to
>     updating the
>      > entire system to updates-release.
>      >

>     I have a computer with an Intel 815 which took the FC5T3 installation
>     alright. There were no 640x480 or 800x600 problems that it seems you are
>     having.
>     Did you check the legacy video settings in BIOS?
>

> I didn't specifically check for that, however, I went throught he BIOS
> thoroughly since I wasn't familiar with that brand of BIOS. I  could
> have missed such a thing however.
>
>     Are you trying to
>     install the test version or FC4?
>

> I started by install FC4 release, then yum`ed my way to
> updates-released, rebooted (problem remained), then yumed my way to
> updates-testing.
>
>     My computer is a PowerSpec, but has Intel video. similar soundcard and
>     similar Ethernet card.
>

> I am  considering a  few options:
> 1) this is as a result of me installing FC4 over a KVM. This has causes
> slight monitor configuration problems before, but I was then able to fix it.
>
> 2) The drivers for this particular card are buggy. I popped in a Knoppix
> disk before installtion, and it too complained about the video card
> (somethign about incorret mode sent) and it only went up to 800x600.
>
> Just to clarfiy, I have tried various settings at and above 1024x768
> they are all either badly scaled, or do not consume the screen (leaving
> approx. an inch top and bottom on my 19inch screen).
>
> I ensured that the montitor section in xorg.conf was as my main machine
> (as they share the same monitor).
>
> Should I bring this thread over to fedora-testing-list? I have since
> registered there.

An updated FC4 without updates-testing would qualify for resolution on
fedora-list. I checked updates-testing and no xorg updates were in the
repo. There are a lot of discussions in the list archives. Adding
"noaccel" as an option was one listed.

Personally, I found 24 for depth and 1280x1024 worked best for my
purposes. I believe I adjust my monitor for vertical and horizontal
sweeps not filling up the entire screen. You can adjust these settings
with the menu button on most monitors.

Jim

--
Well fix that in the next (upgrade, update, patch release, service pack).