ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 2 10:37:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:33 +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On 1/2/06, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > If instead of just looking at EVR yum could look at DPEVR where D is
> > dependency, P is repository priority, things might be better.
>
> You know that depsolve is mostly delegated to rpmlib, right?

Yup - and that's a problem.

> > [cut ... Explanation for a possible solution ... cut]
>
> I think it will come down to this ... use yum for Core/Extras and
> where default behavior of a 3rd party repo is acceptable to you.
> Otherwise, use smart for any other weird, magic, bit-twiddling
> behavior needs.

But if smart can do it - yum could potentially be taught to do it as
well.

> If a plugin can provide the solution you layed out, then by all means,
> provide it. I highly doubt the proposed solution will go into yum
> proper.

Not anytime soon.
I'm guessing though it would require yum to keep a database of its own
to know what came from where - which would be way to fragile because
anything not installed by yum would not be in there.

So unless yum has another way to figure out what packages come from
where, it probably is never going to be optimal and therefore never
implemented.