Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 2 13:33:47 UTC 2006

Hi, I am experiencing slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop. It is
interesting - 100% CPU activity for a very long time (too long for
everything to be allright). What seems interesting to me is that the
slowdown occurs in a pattern - every second time I start up the app it
is slow, so run1:slow, run2:fast, run3:slow, run4:fast, regardless of
timing. Further, this is a multi app pattern. Start up appX: slow,
appY:fast, appZ:slow, appXX:fast. It also happens if you start up
multiple copies of the same app: copy1:slow, copy2:fast, copy3:slow.
Does not occur with multiple firefox windows, or multiple terminals,
which will start up very fast if there's a single one open. Does not
occur with something like xpdf - only gnome apps.

Suggestions? What's the correct bugzilla component?