Re: Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

I have no idea - I don't normally mess with xorg.conf at all (or use the nv driver). I would expect kudzu (or something) to do more work to detect what kind of monitor I have - at least get the frequency/resolutions right.

I see no FlatPanel option - the options are the one that the nvidia driver uses, since the program that switches them doesn't change the options. Interesting things in xorg include: RENDER = yes, glx = on, dri = on

I'm not sure why you're suspicious of the graphics driver, however...