Re: Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

I have no idea - I don't normally mess with xorg.conf at all (or use the nv driver). I would expect kudzu (or something) to do more work to detect what kind of monitor I have - at least get the frequency/resolutions right.
I see no FlatPanel option - the options are the one that the nvidia driver uses, since the program that switches them doesn't change the options. Interesting things in xorg include: RENDER = yes, glx = on, dri = on

I'm not sure why you're suspicious of the graphics driver, however...

because it has a kernel component, and some things in the kernel got
slower due to a few debug option... especially for places that do "dumb"
things (see davej's blog for a few such places in the kernel source ;)
The nv driver has no kernel portion, so wouldn't suffer from the same
debugging..
Can you clarify which kernel version enabled the debug option?