Re: ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Jeff Pitman wrote:
On 1/2/06, Florin Andrei <florin andrei myip org> wrote:

When users choose to use third party repositories they are in many cases
not aware that they are not just adding packages but also replacing
existing ones in their system which might be a divergence they desire.
The discussions initiated by one such user along with various posting in
fedora forum, user lists and irc channel is enough proof that the
problem exists.

(Offtopic: is anyone else's mail not picking up Rahul's list postings?
I've seen several responses to Rahul's email, however I haven't
received any from Rahul since 12/27 from fedora-devel. Odd...)

This is currently the single most important problem with package
repositories.

See Warren's posting: Core/Extras has no obligation to help the situation.

Furthermore, I personally consider 3rd party repositories to be forks of the distribution. In most cases this is no problem if they do not overlap and do not replace Core/Extras packages.

A "fork" is not necessarily a bad thing. Only users should be aware that they use such repositories at their own option, and if they have any problems they need to report it to their fork project/repository to deal with it. It is not Fedora's responsibility to workaround problems caused by forks or 3rd party software.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com