Slow refresh: nautilus

Hi, you might remember I wrote about patterned slowdown over the GNOME desktop last week. Since then my superblock was corrupted, the entire root partition was lost, and I had to reinstall (twice). On the bright side, the new Fedora system is much faster than before, and does not suffer from the slowdown issue. I am using the latest kernel now, with the oss nv driver.

But... I do see a strange issue, that I don't think is normal. When switching from a maximized app to an empty workspace, redraw of the background is particularly slow - it takes about 1 sec on Athlon 1600+. During that time the icons disappear. This might not seem slow, but it gets really annoying. The CPU spikes to 100% every time. I see the same thing when opening new folders in nautilus. I don't use nautilus for file management, but I imagine this would be really annoying for those that do. (as an aside, I am trying to test this w/ fullscreen folders, but the spatial feature that remembers where each folder was opened and how large it is doesn't seem to work currently)

Is anyone else seeing the same issue.....
I was not seeing this before, but I was using the accelerated nvidia driver.