Mono app packaging

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 09:41:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:38:52AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 17:29 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I noticed that at least in the packages for f-spot and beagle the
> > executable binaries are located in "/usr/lib/<app>/*.exe" and that
> > "/usr/bin" merely contains stub scripts that call these executables. This
> > looks quite ugly to me as it defeats the standard filesystem hierarchy so
> > is this something temporary or is this so kind of "best practice" for mono
> > applications?
>
> This is standard for many types of apps, like those written in python
> and other scripting languages.

But
if [ -e ./Config.exe ] && [ -e ./Makefile.am ] ; then
    echo "*** Running uninstalled Config.exe ***"
    THIS_PATH="../Util:../BeagleClient"
    THIS_EXE="./Config.exe"
    THIS_FILTERS="../Filters"
else
    THIS_PATH="/usr/lib/beagle:/usr/lib"
    THIS_EXE="/usr/lib/beagle/Config.exe"
fi

crap in all the scripts certainly is not the standard for many types of
apps.  This has no business to be in the installed version of the scripts,
there we know we want to run the installed one and really shouldn't change
behavior depending on content of the current working directory.

	Jakub