HelixPlayer (was: Re: rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core])

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jan 12 10:06:43 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote :

> On 1/11/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> > And rhythmbox is not the only Fedora audio app. You have totem/helixplayer
> > which allow someone to play music without importing it in the rhythmbox
> > db.
>
> I have consistently suggested the removal of Helixplayer on what I
> consider to be strong grounds of duplicate functionality. We can start
> another thread on this specific topic if you like.  Please if anyone
> has a good technical reason why Helixplayer should continue to be in
> Core that doesn't invoke an unshippable realmedia codec plugin, please
> start a side thread.

I totally agree regarding HelixPlayer. Can we please move it to Extras, or
at least not have it installed by default? I seriously doubt anyone "uses"
it, not after trying any other media player. Not only that, but it's very
limited in functionality, and from the amount of patching and hacks in
the spec file I've seen (in the past, maybe it's gotten better), seems to
also be a burden to keep in shape.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
Load : 0.54 0.25 0.15