Re: Interesting results for getservbyname() performance ( and possible changes for /etc/services)

On Thursday 12 January 2006 09:52am, Paul A Houle wrote:
> Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > nscd can't (or at least doesn't) take advantage of knowing about local
> > file changes, it caches information for a certain time period and it
> > doesn't seem to cache services, only passwd, group, hosts.
>
>     How often do you update /etc/services?
>
>     You can always clear the cache by kicking ncsd.  If you're updating
> /etc/services via an rpm,  you can kick ncsd in the postinstall script.

Actually, I found out differently just yesterday.

I was working on an issue caused by SELinux policy relating to nscd when using
TLS encrypted LDAP for authentication & user information.  During my testing,
I had to stop nscd and "rm /var/db/nscd/*" (which only has group, hosts &
passwd) and then restart nscd, in order to clear the cache.

Is there some mystery switch to do this that I'm missing?
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont gurulabs com>
Senior Instructor