rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:08:44 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>     I've been screwing around a bit with scripts that try to audit what
> rpms a particular system is using.  I've tried two different approaches:

[snip]

Instead of trying to capture it all. Would be interesting enough to
just try to capture items which are started from the desktop menu
structure or started via interaction with the file browser or via the
desktop session on login. Focus on "classical" desktop usage and just
ignore all the other random bits started via a terminal or by
background processes. Could hooks be put into gnome-session and
whatever controls desktop startup notification that the window list
applet uses to tell me that evo is starting before the evo window
appears?  Then you could get some counts as to what
applications/applets users are starting up via UI interaction.

-jef