suspend/hibernate on desktops

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Mon Jan 16 17:13:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 11:39 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:49:49PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>  > I agree in general but if the community wants to maintain such kernels
>  > why should we stop them?
>
> The big problem I see coming with this, is that user wants feature X
> in a kernel, and so we have kernel-x added to extras.  Then people start
> using it, and inevitably hit random bugs (not necessarily related to feature X)

add to this the security angle where the kernel is one of the most
common causes of security issues, at least of the severe ones (a problem
in the kernel is almost automatically severe just because of the
privilege level involved). Also the kernel is the area where exploits
tend to be 0-day or likewise.... getting the base kernel updated quickly
is a feat, doing the same for 15 extras kernels... NotPretty(tm).