Announcing Fedora Core 5 Test 2

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jan 17 17:44:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 12:16 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 14:51 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > Yes. Planned to be included in FC5. Can we finally drop up2date and
> > > rhn-applet from the release?
> > >
> > up2date and rhn-applet will continue to be included for FC5 (though not
> > installed by default) to help make it easier for people to transition
> Why? Has the transition phase so far (I.e. all Fedora releases since yum
> had been introduced), not been sufficient to finally bury them now?

Give your mother Fedora. Try to get some graphical way to get notified
you need to 'update'. Then have her click her way through updating her
machine. (note that she wants to watch DVDs and listen to MP3s so she
has livna, freshrpms, atrpms packages installed too).

I have done exactly this last week on FC4. It's a disaster. The standard
add/remove software gave me errors. synaptic couldn't deal with the
repositories either, and yumex is so unbearably slow I thought it was
broken, but then realised it is just unbearably slow, so I tried using
it and found its listing of packages isn't what the proper state of
the machine was. I lost a large selection to 'add' once that i spend
15 minutes on. When it did "work", it was working without any message
to the user, and it would take minutes for it to do anything after
clicking on the update or add button.

I ended up having to explain to her what a terminal window is and how to
run 'yum update'. While she feared the 'command line'.

So with package managers and updates and GUI's we're not there yet.

Paul