RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:50:35 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I've been following a very interesting discussion in fedora-list about
the recent transfer of FC3 to Fedora Legacy.

Following Rahul's suggestion, I'm starting this discussion in -devel.

I'm asking the FC foundation to consider the following:

1. Fedora's policy dictates that old releases (Current - 2) will be
retired once the new release hits Test2. This policy has one glaring
drawback: User that seek an upgrade can either (1) install a mid-life
release (FC4 in this case) or (2) install a beta release. (FC5 Test2 in
this case).

This being I suspect that most users will play the waiting game before
making a decision. They'll wait for the FC5 release and check how it
behaves before making a decision, which in turn, will leave them
vulnerable to security exploits.

Extending the life of FC4 by (a mere?) ~2 months, will give FC4 users
seeking an upgrade a chance to make an informed decision based upon how
FC6 behaves, without leaving them open to security risks.

2. It has been suggested (in the fedora-list discussion) that the last
official FC4 update will be a legacy yum configuration rpm that will
ease/automate the transition to legacy. This sounds like a great idea to
me. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Gilboa