RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 16:19:38 UTC 2006

>You certainly have a hard job, and respect is due.  But I personally
>have not mailed you offlist AFAICR or done these other things, except
>possibly the occasional crap-treating.

I wasnt talking about isolated incidents. Been kind of increasing
steadily over months really. Its not constructive at all. I could do
more work if people dont indulge in name calling every other day for no
good reason. I heard other engineers haven't been fairing much better
either. Everybody would go into a shell getting the opposite effect of
what you want.

>I simply pointed out it DID have some bad press, maybe that decreased
>the value of "Fedora Legacy" in peoples' minds, I am not complaining
>about it.  I agree this community thing is a double-edged sword and
>despite your Wiki effort it isn't in such abundance as it could be
>coming into RH as opposed to out of it.

We arent doing a perfect job here. Far from it. Red Hat  has a bunch of
hacker realistic people everywhere who do you a whole bunch of great
stuff and never talk about it anywhere since they rather churn out even
more code. Misconceptions keeps build up elsewhere. Kind of slowing
getting better though.

There is a bunch of stuff in the wiki thats shaping up nicely but I can
do better just for some kicks...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legacy-list/2006-January/msg00030.html
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/WeeklyReports
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2006-January/msg00091.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2006-January/msg00048.html
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RedHatContributions
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide

Pure volunteer grunt work really. No coding, packaging and Ph.D's
required. Just some interest.

>Well not everybody writing code in the general sense is ready to take up
>work like Legacy.  Only in the last months did I get used to patch,
>diff, specfiles and so on and get a feel for autotools-based trees.
>Documentation really requires familiarity, it is out there but only
>certain people have it.  Then there is the difficulty to manage what the
>contributor is enthused to do with what is seen as needed in RH.  So to
>date I managed to add nothing but mailing list duty.  Elsewhere in the
>GPL world I work on other things though.

Think about it. A whole lot of people are treating it as a gratis
product rather than a community project. The number of times I hear
people complaining about bugs you would think they would jump at
solutions. Right?

Been there for a while now. We could use more takers to put it mildly.
We kind of got a solution now though

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg00572.html

--
Rahul