Re: RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 11:53am, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:25:34PM +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
[snip]
> > C. As people suggested before me, the "Fedora Legacy" name is... well...
> > problematic. People don't like being Legacy. "Fedora Long-Term Support"
> > project?
>
> Legacy sounds right to me.
>
> Legacy: a bequest or gift usually passed on by will
> Legacy: an item handed down or remaining from a previous time
>
> The computing jargon use you allude to is an adjective, while Fedora is the
> adjective in "Fedora Legacy".

You are correct, Alan, but, grammer aside, the term "Legacy" in computing
circles is very negative, as in, "We need to replace those legacy systems,"
or, "We are no longer supporting legacy hardware."  Granted, that's usually
about hardware, not software, but I've seen it used in reference to both.

Where I live, the term legacy has very positive (usually familial)
connotations, except when we're talking about computers.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont gurulabs com>
Senior Instructor