Re: Proposal - don't install .rpmnew unless changed

Neal Becker wrote:
It would save admins a lot of time if we modify rpm so that it does not
create a .rpmnew file if there is no change from the old file.  I would
think this would be a simple modification.

It already does this, doesn't it?

My understanding was that for a %config(noreplace) file, a .rpmnew file is created if the on-disk version of the file is different from the one in the package about to be upgraded *and* the one in the upgrade package is also different from the one in the package about to be upgraded.

Things get a bit more complicated when multiple packages own the same config file, e.g. /etc/vimrc

Paul.