Re: Proposal - don't install .rpmnew unless changed

Neal Becker wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

Neal Becker wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

Neal Becker wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

Neal Becker wrote:

It would save admins a lot of time if we modify rpm so that it does
not
create a .rpmnew file if there is no change from the old file.  I
would think this would be a simple modification.

It already does this, doesn't it?

I don't think so!  I keep syncing with develop every day, and most days
I get a bunch of messages about "blah created as .rpmnew", and every day
I run diff, and almost always get no output.

Are you on an x86_64 box with lots of parallel-installed i386 packages?

Yes, x86_64.  I have most parallel i386 packages that are standard on
x86_64.  I did not install extra i386 packages.

Today, for example, there were a bunch of messages about upgrade to
kdelibs-3.5.0-5.  It does happen that there are both x86_64 and i386
versions of this, do you think this is the explanation?  In any case, any
chance to fix it?

I think it's the same issue (multiple packages owning the same config
file) as for /etc/vimrc, except in this case it's different-arch
packages instead of different-name packages.

I don't know what the *right* policy for these cases should be really.

Isn't it "right" to not create .rpmnew and report it to the user if there is
no diff to the current version?

What *is* the current version though, if there are multiple packages owning the same file?

I don't know enough about rpm internals to say why this is a problem.

Paul.