Re: Proposal - don't install .rpmnew unless changed

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:03:24 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org> wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
> > It would save admins a lot of time if we modify rpm so that it does not
> > create a .rpmnew file if there is no change from the old file.  I would
> > think this would be a simple modification.
>
> It already does this, doesn't it?

Most of the time, yes. But in some cases it's just weird. The most obvious
example is /etc/vimrc.rpmnew. /etc/vimrc seems to be described ok in
the spec, it never changes, and yet I always get /etc/vimrc.rpmnew.
I cannot figure this one out.

-- Pete