libtrash in fedora Core 5

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Sat Jan 21 08:50:50 UTC 2006

2006-01-21 Eric Wood <eric at interplas.com> wrote
> Ola Thoresen wrote:
>> The problem is - if you can even remotely imagine that you might want to
>> get the files back in any possible future, why would you delete it in
>> the first place?
>>
> Maybe because the Trash concept is over 20 years old, instilled into
> many desktop gui interfaces, and that's the way most end users think.
>> I am not sure if libtrash is the "right" solution, but any other
>> solutions that in reality just replicates options you already have are
>> really no solutions at all.
>>
> easy solution - shell script it.

But you don't need a _new_ command to do that.
If you have to teach your users to do something else than "rm somefile",
then it should be just as easy to teach them to use something like
"mv somefile to_be_deleted/" and the same goes for the scripts.

My point is that if we want this kind of feature, it should be
trasparent to the user (like libtrash) so you don't have to rewrite a
gazillion scripts and alter user behaviur.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen