Re: rawhide report: 20060121 changes

Richard Hally wrote:

> Igor Jagec wrote:
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.0 for package: rhythmbox
>> --> Processing Dependency: hotplug >= 3:2004_04_01-10 for package:
>> sane-backends--> Processing Dependency: hotplug for package: udev
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.0 is needed by package
>> rhythmboxError: Missing Dependency: hotplug >= 3:2004_04_01-10 is needed
>> by package sane-backends
>> Error: Missing Dependency: hotplug is needed by package udev
>>

> yum --exclude=totem\* --exclude=initscripts update

After yum refused to update my system, I tried instead 'smart upgrade'.
Smart went ahead and correctly performed the update.

While it is _possible_ to get yum to do the update, that is only after you
manually figure out just what depends it's complaining about.  This is not
trivial, and even worse on a multiarch system.

I strongly believe that most users would prefer the smart behavior, or at
least the option of being asked.  Specifically, if some dependencies have
problems, offer to go ahead with other packages that don't have problems.