FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 23 14:51:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 07:53 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 11:30 +0900, Warren Togami wrote:

> > Going off at a tangent....what would people think of the idea of
> > switching to -Os in $RPM_OPT_FLAGS _after_ FC5 is released?
>
> If it results in some form of improvement in performance, I'm all for it.

The "s" in -Os stands for "size", not for "speed". So if -Os compiled
code-execution is faster than the default CFLAGS, something must be
broken elsewhere.

May-be Gnome has grown too fat, such that it swaps/pages less if its
executables are being -O2 compiled ;).

> Too bad the "Summer of Code" thing is over.  This would have made a great
> project for some eager coder to play with.

I think, bringing this to observation to the attention of upstream GCC
(mailing list gcc.gnu.org) would be the appropriate approach.

Ralf

--
RTESM GCC maintainer		corsepius[at]gcc.gnu.org