re: Problems with gnome...

I have no problems here after upgrading to latest packages as of
rawhide 20060124 changes.
I didn't apply yesterday updates in the mean time so I don't know if
something was broken.
My card is nvidia geforce fx 5200 with default nv driver.
Performance of screen redraw operations, as detailed in other posts,
for example in  workspace switching operations where both workspaces
have windows open, presents quite noticable latencies.
I never tried nvidia
  Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
EndSection

And I'm using a 19" monitor with resolution of 1280x1024 24bit