Re: FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 19:39 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> Individually each -O2 performs better than -Os, cumulatively the
> results are often quite different. You still need to get some careful
> tuning in - eg I build gnome -Os but build the gdk pixbuf libraries
> -O2 because they are so performance critical and small

Wouldn't it then make more sense to specify in the source the
optimization strategy to use? Maybe through a compiler #pragma,
as an override for the overall strategy set at the file level.

Then we could mark the small and performance critical parts
as such, and turn the default file level strategy to -Os.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi lattica com>
Lattica, Inc.