rawhide report: 20060709 changes

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 14:36:35 UTC 2006

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 15:41 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> This may be a dead stupid question, but what do we acutally need this
>> for? Don't all monitors report their values via DDC these days?
>
> LCD's tend to not do that, and KVMs and stuff like that b0rks DDC as
> well...

Actually LCDs are better than most CRTs, external ones anyway.  Internal
panels sometimes lack a DDC channel (I think some LVDS connectors don't
have space for the I2C pins), but ACPI is, in principle, supposed to
give you the EDID info in the DSDT in that case.  We don't use that
block yet, mostly because I don't yet know how to map from ACPI tree
node to PCI slot or the reverse, but I'm working on it.

KVM's are a weird breed.  I've seen some that will just drop the I2C
pins, some that pass it through only for the active node, and at least
one in the lab that will provide _fake_ EDID info for the non-active
machines (which, helpfully, matches /KVM/).  I suspect the answer here
is to get the server to cache the EDID info on disk.

- ajax