improving rpm

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 20:12:27 UTC 2006

Nicolas

>> 2) Attempt to merge changes, in the manner of a modern revision control
>> system.
>
> This is a 100%-proof recipe for disaster, even if conf files where all
> in structured format like XML with full grammar available

I don't think it has to be a disaster.

If a package is frequently updated, or has a large config file which has
minimal changes, then I imagine the logic to patch the config file would
be simple.

If the situation is complex, we can detect it and make suggestions.
Maybe even fall back to existing behaviour.

I think it's an interesting idea. What's the harm in offering the user
the choice between new config, old config, merged changes?

-Cam

--

                                                                      <--
camilo at mesias.co.uk