Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 26 23:51:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:41:26 +0200
Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:

> This was just a general example. I think if you stay within a Fedora
> release, there is an expectation of stability wrt major components, such
> as Gnome, KDE or Xorg. If i'm not mistaken, each Fedora release is
> closely tied to a specific Gnome version. This is some sort of
> "unwritten rule", or maybe simply for practical reasons. But should the
> same rule apply to Xorg ?

To my mind it should be handled just like the kernel is handled.  Released
when it includes important updates, even if they're not security related.

> Now the point about Fedora not being RHEL is well taken. But RHEL is not
> free (as in beer), nor is it targeted at desktop users, nor does it
> involve community support from something like Extras, so to me it's
> really something different.

If we let the binary-driver providers dictate what open source software
can be released and when the terrorists win ;o)  More seriously, this
is about getting better open source software into the hands of more
users.  7.1 includes much better support for some higher end ATI cards
for instance.  And it's not like it's the end of the world for
binary-driver users, they just need to add an exclude into their yum
config.

Sean