Fedora's intended target audience?

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 27 15:07:43 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> Rahul wrote:
>> Anyway, I hope the objectives page
>> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives) answers you on your question
>> regarding target audience. Its fluid but I dont think we need to
>> restrict our definitions too much.
>>

> The name of that page describes perfectly what it is a list of
> Objectives. A good list, which with I can fully agree, but it doesn't
> properly define our target audience. The closest to a target audience
> definition I can find on this page is: "built for and by a community"
>
> Which I find a rather narrow definition, so people who do not contribute
> are not part of our target audience? Them I'm most definetly putting
> large amounts of time into the wrong distro.

Your are excluding users as not part of the Fedora community. If you
look at the complete sentence, this becomes more clear. It is meant as a
encouragement for others to contribute better.

"Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
equivalent to competing operating systems, built for and by a community
— those who not only consume, but also produce for the good of other
community members."

We didnt say for the contributors by the contributors. I am not sure how
to define better the target audience for a open source project other
than telling them what our goals are letting users decide for themselves
whether the goals fit into their needs.

I havent seen such target audience definitions for community
distributions before. I think the idea of target audience fits better
into commercial products. Perhaps you can write a draft and help.

Rahul