Fedora's intended target audience?

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Thu Jul 27 16:06:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 10:46 -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> > NVidea doesn't have drivers which will work with 7.1 planned for
> > a month and Ati probably will be even slower. Also one cannot just
> > reboot into that older kernel, so there is a HUGE difference here.
> >
> > Anyways I explicitly asked not to discuss this in this thread this
> > belongs in a seperate thread.
>
> If they'd opened their drivers they would likely have been fixed long ago.
>
> If you have a problem with NVIDIA's inability to track the software
> they claim to support and their unwillingness to allow anyone else to
> do it... You should be taking the issue to nvidia, not here.

People should stop blame NVIDIA for everything because of the binary-only
drivers. There are many reasons, why the 3D-accelerated drivers are not
(yet) open-source, some more valid than others. For me, the problem is
not 3D-acceleration, but TwinView. Reverting to the open-source driver
would break my configuration and not just make some games stop working.
Also, NVIDIA does not support Fedora Core 5. They support Linux in
general and simply cannot follow every little technical issue of
hundreds of distributions.
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49