Fedora's intended target audience?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu Jul 27 18:16:14 UTC 2006

Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:23:11AM -0700, David Boles wrote:
>
>>Steven Pritchard wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe you should file a bug with the other repo to make their ATI and
>>>Nvidia drivers conflict with xorg-x11-$something >= 7.0.  Then the
>>>upgrade should get held until after the drivers have been fixed.
>>
>>I hope that comment was meant to be funny.
>

> I think you misunderstood.  I meant make the packages conflict at the
> rpm level.  (It's a simple matter of putting the right Requires: or
> Conflicts: line(s) in the spec.)  That way yum wouldn't try to upgrade
> xorg until the driver package was upgraded.

Yes i think this is the best solution for nvidia.ko users. Use the livna
package and rely on an explicit versioned Requires:. This will act as a
"reminder" to add the proper --excludes if you try to run a 'yum -y
update' during an uncaffeinated morning. Now I guess we just need new
maintainer for the livna package...

-denis