Leaving?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 28 08:06:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:02:41 +0200
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> I keep hearing this argument, that the packages for the involved drivers
>  can be made to conflict with the update. Which in essence will deprive
> all but the most technical of our users from security updates. So this
> is a moot argument. ? Deprive all but the most technical of our users
> from security updates is almost as bad as completly breaking their system.

They would only be without security updates until a new binary driver is
available that would work with the core update.  This seems more fair
than forcing all the other users to wait for the upgrade until such a
driver is available.

> Yes completly breaking for a non technicall user an X server refusing to
> start is almost impossible to fix.

Agreed, but with proper packaging of the binary drivers that shouldn't happen.

Sean