Leaving?

Leon sdl.web at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:19:27 UTC 2006

Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org> writes:

> On Friday 28 July 2006 16:16, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Friday 28 July 2006 04:13, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> > I keep hearing this argument, that the packages for the involved drivers
>> >  can be made to conflict with the update. Which in essence will deprive
>> > all but the most technical of our users from security updates. So this
>> > is a moot argument. ? Deprive all but the most technical of our users
>> > from security updates is almost as bad as completly breaking their
>> > system.
>>
>> So you'd rather we hold the update for EVERYBODY so that EVERYBODY gets
>> denied the update?  yeah, that's progress...
>
> If I extend your idea, FC-5 should exactly the same as FC-devel. A major
> release of FC should avoid breaking things. The ABI-breaking updates should
> be reserved for FC-devel and next major release (in that case FC-6).

I agree that it shouldn't break things but only those the developers
have control of.

Anyway, since X is of very importance for people, I think Fedora
should bend the rules for the moment. I can imagine how much
disruption it will cause for beginners to inadvertently update to xorg
7.1 and have X crashes.

Doing major update for release products is the very advantage Fedora
has over other distributions. I hope it continues to do so.

--
Leon