mirrorlist plugin broken?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Jul 29 12:26:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 14:22 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > 3. The mirrorlist cgi does the following:
> >    - take repomd.xml from the canonical mirror at redhat.com - get
> > timestamp from inside file of the primary.xml.gz entry
> >    - downlowd repomd.xml from each of the mirrors and compare this value
> >    - only mirrors where the value is the same are kept
>

> this sounds interesting... would there be interest to also feed these
> results to a dns server, so that mirrors.fedora.<something> is a
> rotating dns between all "validated" mirrors? (this assumes the same
> location of the files on all these mirrors obviously)

it also generates country-specific files - and I've generally found
relying on dns servers to honor TTLs all over the world is a bad idea.

> dns probably scales better than a cgi ....

not if you have to use the ip to respond with a proper list for that
country, or, failing the existence of that country's list - respond with
the global one.

I've found the relying on dns for anything frequently updating is just
asking for agonizing caching issues you can do nothing about and
irritated users.

-sv