mirrorlist plugin broken?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Jul 30 20:24:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 22:16 +0200, Florian La Roche wrote:

> > > The check-script to only offer working mirros is great. I'd hope that
> > > also the old locations are updated with working mirrorlist files.
> >
> > that's up to other folks than me.
>

> Ok, I'll have to ping some other people on this.

The only problem I have with updating the original mirror lists is that
the mirrors are not always out of sync. sometimes they're only out of
sync for a day or so. So fixing them would mean having to put back the
broken mirror later if it suddenly resynchronized.

Now, if I got the time I wouldn't mind putting all the mirror results in
a little database and tracking them over time. so that mirrors that are
in sync the majority of the time don't get checked as often or some such
thing.

> >From their website I didn't think they have a reasonable free version.
> The Fedora Extras package mentions a 97% accurate database for the
> free version which does sound ok to me.

97% is much better than what we had before :)

> Let's see if .cgi holds up or if e.g. we can use the timezone setting
> or other items to start with sane defaults.

the code is checked into /cvs/fedora/check-mirrors if you want to see if
there are other ways of doing it.

-sv