Re: Request for comments: Laptop improvements

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, David Timms wrote:

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:02 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
Jeremy Katz <katzj redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 08:31 +1000, David Timms wrote:
2. Able to boot or instigate boot from external usb / firewire hdd. Reason is employer does not like employees screwing with work provided notebooks. This would allow more home usage of linux (even when you are not allowed to), whether it be a live distros or complete installs.
This functionality should be present in test1.  Having testing from
other people would be greatly appreciated!
This is very machine-dependent. My current machine just can't boot from USB
or Firewire. Next one does...

Very much known -- that's why we warn you that it may or may not work
depending on your BIOS when you attempt to do it
On the dark-side: could the installer (or something) else make a boot entry to a PC's fat (ntfs?) boot.ini that allows boot of the external drive ?

I can't imagine why not. There is a program to do this for cd-roms. (I would have to look on one of my old Linux Format discs to find it. I don't remember the name.)

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis