2GB swap partition limit?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Mar 16 14:00:47 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 00:35, "Mauro Mozzarelli" <mmkernel at ezplanet.net>
wrote:

> >> Three words: "suspend to disk".
>
> I use it for "tmpfs"

There are situations where machines can perform very well with a tmpfs that is
significantly larger than RAM.  There was one time that one of my machines
with 512M of RAM needed a 6G tmpfs and gave really good performance with 6G
of swap.

There are also some applications that have a working set which is far smaller
than the full allocated memory space and which perform well when they are
mostly swapped out.

However I believe that neither is a common use of a machine.  The general
advice which is given as "use twice RAM" is something that I believe to be
wrong in most instances now that machines with 512M of RAM or more are
common.

The issue of what size of swap space will be viable is really determined by
the IO capacity of the storage device.  Get a bunch of 15,000rpm SATA or SCSI
disks in a RAID-5 array with a write-back disk controller and a swap space of
several gigs in size may be viable for a wide range of work loads.  Get a
single IDE disk with a few gigs of swap and it's most likely that the
performance of your machine will be unusable (to a degree that you have to
press reset as logging in to run shutdown takes far too long) long before the
swap space is fully used.

I'm not trying to convince people that everyone should use less than 2*RAM for
their swap space!  Merely that the 2*RAM advice originated when 16M of RAM
was a big machine and that things are different now.