CD verify on FC5 disc 5.

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Mar 21 11:05:38 UTC 2006

I've been burning some sets of FC5 CDs for friends and verifying them.  I have
observed that CD 5 takes an unreasonably large amount of time to verify.
After the "Media Check" window disappears the system hands while virtual
console 4 is giving IDE errors corresponding to logical blocks 189413 and
189414.  After doing this for some time  it returns and says that the test
has passed.

When burning CD-ROMs I put 80 sectors of blank padding to deal with crappy
CD-ROM drives.  In the past I found that some of my CD-ROM drives would cause
the Media Check to fail if I used a mere 30 sectors of padding and so I chose
80 as an arbitrary large number to avoid that.  The number 80 has done well
in terms of preventing check failures and install errors.  Should I consider
the above failure to just be a symptom of an interaction between Linux and
crappy hardware and ignore it?  Or is the fact that Linux is trying to seek
so far past the end of the disk due to a bug in either the kernel or
anaconda?