CD verify on FC5 disc 5.

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Mar 21 11:35:39 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 22:05, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> When burning CD-ROMs I put 80 sectors of blank padding to deal with crappy
> CD-ROM drives.  In the past I found that some of my CD-ROM drives would
> cause the Media Check to fail if I used a mere 30 sectors of padding and so
> I chose 80 as an arbitrary large number to avoid that.  The number 80 has
> done well in terms of preventing check failures and install errors.  Should
> I consider the above failure to just be a symptom of an interaction between
> Linux and crappy hardware and ignore it?  Or is the fact that Linux is
> trying to seek so far past the end of the disk due to a bug in either the
> kernel or anaconda?

I burned a copy of CD 5 with 800 blank sectors at the end and it worked
perfectly.  I also noticed that CD 2 has the problem (although I hadn't
noticed it before), CDs 3 and 4 don't have a problem (I still have to repeat
tests on CD 1).

I guess that I can work around this problem by specifying a padsize of
something between 81 and 800 sectors (if some more friends want copies of FC5
then I'll find out soon).