Mirrorlist missing mirrors?

Ralph Angenendt ralph+fedora at strg-alt-entf.org
Tue Mar 21 22:57:42 UTC 2006

Elliot Lee wrote:
> I am all in favor of fixing what is broken, but so far the only specific
> complaint has been from Jef about the difficulty of seeing what's going on
> with things. Other than that, I guess I really need to understand the
> specifics of the problem so I can do my part to help fix them...

I had yum bailing out on my when timeouts occured. It printed out
"Trying other mirror." and then complained about having run out of
available mirrors.

At the moment (with the mirrorlist available), using different mirrors
works again:

| Downloading Packages:
| http://fedora.inode.at/updates/5/i386/bind-config-9.3.2-10.FC5.i386.rpm:
| [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Content-Type: text/html
| Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:51:14 GMT
| Server: lighttpd/1.4.11
| Trying other mirror.
| (1/4): bind-config-9.3.2- 100% |=========================|  50 kB 00:00

Second: Having the redirector on the serverside makes plugins like
fastestmirror completely useless, as only one mirror will be found and
tested. What happens if the server running the redirector goes down?

Ralph