Mirrorlist missing mirrors?

Ralph Angenendt ralph+fedora at strg-alt-entf.org
Tue Mar 21 23:31:24 UTC 2006

Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > I had yum bailing out on my when timeouts occured. It printed out
> > "Trying other mirror." and then complained about having run out of
> > available mirrors.
>
> That particular problem should have been fixed a little while ago...

Depends on the "little while" :)

Happened to me around 4pm (GMT+0100).

> > Second: Having the redirector on the serverside makes plugins like
> > fastestmirror completely useless, as only one mirror will be found and
> > tested. What happens if the server running the redirector goes down?
>
> And what will happen if the server hosting the mirrorlist goes down? :)

True. Fastestmirror only caches the hostname.

> I can't help with the fastestmirror thing per se, and I know there are
> people who are on the same backbone as a fast mirror and would rather make
> use of that mirror by default. Some people will be helped by GeoIP (slated
> to happen sometime). And perhaps there can be a way for clients to report
> back to the server which mirrors they find fastest, while still allowing
> the server to have a voice in the redirect decision. Let's try to figure
> out the best of both worlds...

Well, I'd try to be "netfriendly", so GeoIP probably would be the best
solution. No need for my packets to travel across the pond :)

> We do have a redundant setup that should be able to handle a reasonable
> amount of problems, but nothing is foolproof.

Yeah. But I hadn't seen problems like this afternoon before, as I had to
start the update process about 15 times to get all headers and packages

Ralph