Anaconda: good work!

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 21:31:59 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 19:32, Chris Adams wrote:

> Don't use a green/red background as the difference; color blind people
> can't tell the difference.

 Not entirely true. Most "colourblind" people have partial but slightly weak
receptivity to certain wavelengths (the most common forms being that they are
less sensitive to either red or green).  In the majority of cases a solid
colour is distinguishable, I have no trouble telling red from green on the
linux console; there are shades of pale green and bright oranges that are
hard to distinguish.

 That said, a blinking text for failure *would* make it stand out; in
particular the whole red/green thing only works well when it's one of those
standing out in contrast to the other. In cases where there's only a small
amount of coloured text, it's not all that helpful anyway.

 I would suggest using both: red, blinking text for failure. Or yellow, which
stands out better for people with or without poor colour vision in most cases
(hence the choice of sodium lamps for street lighting in the UK).