Anaconda: good work!

Jörn Rink j.rink at freenet.de
Sat Mar 25 10:02:07 UTC 2006

Am Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:44:55 -0700
hat "Lamont R. Peterson" <lamont at gurulabs.com> (Lamont R. Peterson)
folgendes geschrieben:

> Get the kickstart file from a web server and make the file that is
> being pointed to a perl or PHP (or ruby or whatever you prefer)
> script that generates the "proper" kickstart file content as output.
>
> With that in place, you can get the MAC address from a look-up table
> in your app, based on the IP address of the client connecting.  Of
> course, I'm assuming that you have such a map if you are setting the
> MAC addresses on all those machines.

Hi,
first of all, thanks for your answer.
I read about this method while googling around. The Problem is, that we
make DHCP and in the DHCP server, there we do not have a table of all
the MAC Adresses we are using or we want to use at this moment.

Because of this we send the hostname to the
dhcp server. So the client have to come up with the right hostname.

In the SuSE installation at this moment, all our customers has to input
2 things in the installation process, the hostname and the MAC Adress.

When we have the tables integrated in the DHCP Server, we can reduce
the input to one.

One solution can be the post or after installation scripts, but i have
to show the custumer an inputbox where he can input the hostname.

Another solution can be an anaconda hack, that while the installation
all is automatic exept the network configuration, but there is no
chance to input a mac adress.